Student agency refers to the level of autonomy and power that a student experiences in the learning environment. Student voice and agency are intrinsically linked. Agency gives students the power to direct and take responsibility for their learning, creating independent and self-regulating learners.
At MWPS we encourage students to:
- work with teachers in making decisions about teaching and learning
- take responsibility for their learning and are, on the whole, independent and self-regulating learners
- negotiate and design learning that stretches their thinking
- can track and measure their own learning growth
- are involved in designing and implementing school policy and programs, and actively
- contribute ideas about student-led learning
- display the capabilities, confidence and willingness to contribute ideas and make
- decisions about what and how they learn
- reflect, take-action and accept the responsibility that comes with being part of the problem solving.